What do Non-Destructive Testing Specialists do?
Test the safety of structures, vehicles, or vessels using x-ray, ultrasound, fiber optic or related equipment.
- Interpret or evaluate test results in accordance with applicable codes, standards, specifications, or procedures.
- Interpret the results of all methods of non-destructive testing (NDT) such as acoustic emission, electromagnetic, leak, liquid penetrant, magnetic particle, neutron radiographic, radiographic, thermal or infrared, ultrasonic, vibration analysis, and visual testing.
- Select, calibrate, or operate equipment used in the non-destructive testing (NDT) of products or materials.
- Examine structures or vehicles such as aircraft, trains, nuclear reactors, bridges, dams, and pipelines using non-destructive testing (NDT) techniques.
- Make radiographic images to detect flaws in objects while leaving objects intact.
- Identify defects in solid materials using ultrasonic testing techniques.
- Prepare reports on non-destructive testing (NDT) results.
- Conduct liquid penetrant tests to locate surface cracks by coating objects with fluorescent dyes, cleaning excess penetrant, and applying developer.
- Document non-destructive testing (NDT) methods, processes, or results.
- Produce images of objects on film using radiographic techniques.
- Visually examine materials, structures, or components using tools and equipment such as endoscopes, closed circuit television systems, and fiber optics for signs of corrosion, metal fatigue, cracks, or other flaws.
- Supervise or direct the work of non-destructive testing (NDT) trainees or staff.
- Map the presence of imperfections within objects using sonic measurements.
- Develop or use new non-destructive testing (NDT) methods such as acoustic emission testing, leak testing, and thermal or infrared testing.
- Identify defects in concrete or other building materials using thermal or infrared testing.
- Evaluate material properties using radio astronomy, voltage and amperage measurement, or rheometric flow measurement.
Related Jobs (Non-Destructive Testing Specialists)